Article 4. Registration And Modification Of Foreign Child-support Order of California Family Law Code >> Division 9. >> Part 6. >> Chapter 6. >> Article 4.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in Section 5700.711, if a foreign country lacks or refuses to exercise jurisdiction to modify its child-support order pursuant to its laws, a tribunal of this state may assume jurisdiction to modify the child-support order and bind all individuals subject to the personal jurisdiction of the tribunal whether the consent to modification of a child-support order otherwise required of the individual pursuant to Section 5700.611 has been given or whether the individual seeking modification is a resident of this state or of the foreign country.
  (b) An order issued by a tribunal of this state modifying a foreign child-support order pursuant to this section is the controlling order.
A party or support enforcement agency seeking to modify, or to modify and enforce, a foreign child-support order not under the Convention may register that order in this state under Sections 5700.601 through 5700.608 if the order has not been registered. A petition for modification may be filed at the same time as a request for registration, or at another time. The petition must specify the grounds for modification.