Chapter 3. Automated External Defibrillators of California Health And Safety Code >> Division 13. >> Part 3. >> Chapter 3.
(a) This chapter applies to all of the following structures,
as defined in Chapter 3 (commencing with Section 301.1) of Part 2,
the California Building Code, of Title 24, the California Building
Standards Code, of the California Code of Regulations, that are
constructed on or after January 1, 2017:
(1) Group A assembly buildings with an occupancy of greater than
(2) Group B business buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(3) Group E educational buildings with an occupancy of 200 or
(4) Group F factory buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(5) Group I institutional buildings with an occupancy of 200 or
(6) Group M mercantile buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more.
(7) Group R residential buildings with an occupancy of 200 or
more, excluding single-family and multifamily dwelling units.
(b) A structure described in subdivision (a) that is an occupied
structure shall have an automated external defibrillator (AED) on the
premises subject to the requirements in Section 1797.196. A person
or entity that acquires an AED for emergency care pursuant to this
section shall not be liable for any civil damages resulting from any
acts or omissions in the rendering of the emergency care by use of an
AED if that person or entity has complied with subdivision (b) of
(c) (1) This chapter shall not apply to a structure in subdivision
(a) that is owned or operated by any local government entity.
(2) This chapter shall not apply to a health facility licensed
under subdivision (a), (b), (c), or (f) of Section 1250 of the Health
and Safety Code.
(d) This chapter shall not be construed to apply to a structure
that is vacant or under construction or renovation.
(e) This chapter shall become operative on January 1, 2017.