Chapter 1. Miscellaneous Rules Relating To Carrying Firearms of California Penal Code >> Division 5. >> Title 4. >> Part 6. >> Chapter 1.
(a) A person commits criminal possession of a firearm when
the person carries a firearm in a public place or on any public
street while masked so as to hide the person's identity.
(b) Criminal possession of a firearm is punishable by imprisonment
pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170 or by imprisonment in a
county jail not to exceed one year.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(1) A peace officer in performance of the officer's duties.
(2) A full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal
government who is carrying out official duties while in this state.
(3) Any person summoned by any of the officers enumerated in
paragraph (1) or (2) to assist in making an arrest or preserving the
peace while that person is actually engaged in assisting that
(4) The possession of an unloaded firearm or a firearm loaded with
blank ammunition by an authorized participant in, or while
rehearsing for, a motion picture, television, video production,
entertainment event, entertainment activity, or lawfully organized
and conducted activity when the participant lawfully uses the firearm
as part of that production, event, or activity.
(5) The possession of a firearm by a licensed hunter while
actually engaged in lawful hunting, or while going directly to or
returning directly from the hunting expedition.