Chapter 6. Sale Of Used Vehicles of California Vehicle Code >> Division 5. >> Chapter 6.
(a) A buy-here-pay-here dealer shall affix a label on any
used vehicle being offered for retail sale that states the reasonable
market value of that vehicle. The label shall meet all of the
(1) Be in writing.
(2) Be printed with a heading that reads "REASONABLE MARKET VALUE
OF THIS VEHICLE" in at least 16-point bold type and text in at least
(3) Be located adjacent to the window sticker identifying the
equipment provided with the vehicle or, if none, it shall be located
prominently and conspicuously on the vehicle so that it is readily
(4) Contain the information used to determine the reasonable
market value of the vehicle, including, but not limited to, the use
of a nationally recognized pricing guide for used vehicles.
(5) Contain the date the reasonable market value was determined.
(6) Indicate that the reasonable market value is being provided
only for comparison shopping and is not the retail sale price or the
advertised price of the vehicle.
(b) A buy-here-pay-here dealer shall provide to a prospective
buyer of the used vehicle a copy of any information obtained from a
nationally recognized pricing guide that the buy-here-pay-here dealer
used to determine the reasonable market value of the vehicle.
(c) As used in this section:
(1) "Reasonable market value" means the average retail value of a
used vehicle based on the condition, mileage, year, make, and model
of the vehicle, as determined within the last 60 days by a nationally
recognized pricing guide that provides used vehicle retail values or
pricing reports to vehicle dealers or the public.
(2) "Nationally recognized pricing guide" includes, but is not
limited to, the Kelley Blue Book (KBB), Edmunds, the Black Book, or
the National Automobile Dealers' Association (NADA) Guide.