Chapter 10. Sales Of Vehicles By Private Owners of California Vehicle Code >> Division 5. >> Chapter 10.
Only a dealer, a person described in Section 286, or the
registered owner of record shall sell or offer for sale a vehicle of
a type required to be registered pursuant to Division 3 (commencing
with Section 4000) or identified pursuant to Division 16.5
(commencing with Section 38000), except as provided in Section 12121.
(a) Section 12120 does not apply to a dealer licensed
pursuant to Chapter 4 (commencing with Section 11700) when acting
under authority of the license, or to his or her authorized agent.
(b) Section 12120 does not prohibit the sale of a vehicle by any
of the following persons not engaged in the business of selling
(1) Anyone related by blood, adoption, or marriage to the
(2) The receiver, administrator, executor, guardian, or other
person appointed by, or acting under, a judgment or order of any
(3) The trustee of a trust in which the vehicle is registered as
(4) Any public officer in the performance of his or her official
(5) An attorney on behalf of a client who is the registered owner.
(6) The owner, officer, or designated representative of a business
in whose name the vehicle is registered.
(7) The legal owner as shown on the certificate of ownership.
(8) A person who has prior written authorization from the
registered owner of the vehicle, and that person does not receive or
expect to receive a commission, money, brokerage fees, profit, or any
other thing of value from either the seller or purchaser of the
(9) An insurer selling the salvage of one of its insured's vehicle
or the stolen vehicle of one of its insured which has been