Article 2. Foreign Commercial Vehicles of California Vehicle Code >> Division 3. >> Chapter 4. >> Article 2.

A nonresident owner of any foreign commercial vehicle shall register the vehicle in this state and pay the fees applicable thereto under this code, except as provided in this article and Article 3 (commencing with Section 8000), and except in the event the vehicle is lawfully registered as a private passenger vehicle in the foreign jurisdiction in which the owner has residence, in which case Section 6700 shall apply.
The nonresident owner of a foreign vehicle shall be granted such privileges and freedom from registration and payment of fees imposed by this code, or Part 5 of Division 2 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, commencing at Section 10701, as the foreign jurisdiction in which the foreign commercial vehicle is registered or licensed grants to like vehicles registered under this code or as provided in agreements, arrangements, or declarations made under Article 3, commencing at Section 8000.
Any vehicle owned by a nonresident owner not registered under this code, which vehicle is leased or rented to a user having an established place of business or residence in this State, for use on the highways of this State shall be subject to registration either by the owner or lessee of the vehicle, unless the vehicle is exempted from registration by the provisions of this division or under any agreement, arrangement, or declaration made pursuant to Article 3, commencing at Section 8000.
(a) Any owner or lessor of a commercial vehicle with primary registration and plates issued in a foreign jurisdiction which does not grant reciprocal privileges to California owners of commercial vehicles shall submit to the department proof of financial responsibility issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in California. This section shall apply only to commercial vehicles having an unladen weight of over 7,000 pounds that are used in the transportation of property in the conduct of a business.
  (b) As an alternative to the requirements of subdivision (a), proof of financial responsibility may be met by submitting to the department either of the following:
  (1) A certificate of registration as a foreign motor carrier or foreign motor private carrier issued by the Interstate Commerce Commission under Part 1171 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations.
  (2) Contractual documents showing to the satisfaction of the department that a trailer or semitrailer subject to registration under Part 1171 of Title 49 of the Code of Federal Regulations will be towed by a truck or truck tractor operated by a motor carrier having highway carrier operating authority issued by the Public Utilities Commission.